How dementia is dealt with is a challenge for society as a whole. Just as there are countless ways of living with dementia, there are also various prospects for improving the quality of life for people with dementia and their families.
As a follow-up to the October 2008 conference 'The fight against Alzheimer's disease' organised by the French EU Presidency, and in line with the 2009 Communication from the European Commission on “a European initiative on Alzheimer's disease and other dementias”, the Belgian Presidency of the EU is providing a forum for the exchange of good practices on how the society is dealing with dementia.
The objectives of the conference are:
- to identify promising strategies and good practices on how to reach out to people with dementia and their carers and
- to enable their exchange between Member States
- to facilitate their exchange between associations and experts involved in care of people with dementia
- to draw conclusions summarizing the conference outcomes.
The conference is structured around the following sub-themes:
- structural initiatives at EU, member state and local level
- the image of dementia and stigmatization
- adapting dementia care.
A policy report will be presented at the conference, drawing inter alia on findings of a survey to which a large number of Member States and Alzheimer associations contributed.
The conference aims to create a significant milestone in improving dementia policy strategies in the EU.
• Member States: Senior officials from national and regional health authorities
• Representatives of patient organisations,
• Representatives of care organisations, ….
• Representatives of EU institutions and international organisations
• Academic experts
25 november 2010: from 9.00 till 18.30
26 november 2010: from 9.00 till 13.00
Hotel HUSA President Park
Boulevard du Roi Albert II - 44
Federal Public Service (FPS) Health, Food Chain Safety and Environment
Place Victor Horta, 40 box 10
Phone: +32 (0)2 524.71.11
Published on 22/07/2010 – Page last updated on 22/07/2010