The medical officer* of your health insurance fund* will refuse you a prior authorisation* if the healthcare treatment for which you are applying for prior authorisation*:
- is not reimbursed by the compulsory health insurance system (e.g. spa treatments, etc.);
- can be provided in Belgium within a medically justifiable time limit, given your state of health at that time and the probable course of your medical condition;
- is an experimental treatment;
- would expose you to a safety risk which can be considered unacceptable in relation to the potential benefits of the healthcare which you wish to receive abroad;
- would expose the general public to a considerable safety risk as a result of the healthcare in question;
- is being provided by a foreign healthcare provider who does not meet the quality and safety standards required by the legislation of the country of treatment.
* cf. Glossary