Each minister designated for the environment and/or conservation of nature is represented on the Coordination Committee, in addition to various environmental administrations and agencies. The Federal minister(s) of Foreign Affairs and Development Cooperation and their respective administrations are also members of this Committee. Permanent Representation of Belgium to the EU is also represented in the CCIEP.
When topics are being discussed that also refer to other areas of competence, the government representative is invited.
The detailed composition of CCIEP is as follows:
- one delegate for each federal or regional Minister or Secretary of State whose portfolio includes the environment and/or nature conservation;
- one delegate for each federal and regional administration responsible for the environment and/or nature conservation, i.e.:
o from the department “Leefmilieu, Natuur en Energie” (LNE – Environment, Nature and Energy) of the Flemish Region;
o from Brussels Environment (“Brussels Instituut voor Milieubeheer” or BIM – “l’Institut bruxellois pour la Gestion de l’Environnement” or IBGE - the Brussels Institute for the Management of the Environment)
o from the Direction générale Agriculture, Ressources naturelles et Environnement (MRW-DGRNE – Directorate-General for Agriculture, Natural Resources and the Environment) of the Walloon Region;
- from the Directorate-General Environment of the Federal Public Service (FPS) Health, Food Chain Safety and Environment.
- one delegate for the Federal Minister of Foreign Affairs;
- one delegate for the Directorate-General for Multilateral Affairs and Globalisation (DGM) of FPS Foreign Affairs;
- one delegate for the Federal Minister or Secretary of State responsible for Development Cooperation;
- one delegate for the Directorate-general for Development Cooperation (DGDC) of FPS Foreign Affairs;
- one delegate for the Permanent Representation of Belgium to the European Union.
If the CCIEP needs to deliberate on matters falling within the competency of members of the federal government or regional governments other than those mentioned above, those members are invited to designate, on an ad hoc basis, a representative who will be responsible for examining the points on the agenda.
Additionally, a number of organisations are represented on the CCIEP by a “permanent expert”. These are:
• the Vlaamse Milieumaatschappij (VMM) (Flemish Environment Agency);
• the Openbare Afvalstoffenmaatschappij (OVAM) (Public Waste Agency of Flanders)