The federal authorities are legally entrusted with the development of a federal strategic vision for sustainable development for the long-term (2050).
This strategy of the federal state encompasses:
• policy objectives for 2050;
• intermediate 10-year targets;
• and indicators to monitor the attainment of these objectives.
These objectives and indicators should especially address the commitments made by Belgium at international and European levels.
Each stakeholder in the Act of 5 May 1997 on the Coordination of Federal Sustainable Development Policy has helped in defining this long-term vision. This includes the Interdepartmental Commission for Sustainable Development (CIDD-ICDO), the Federal Council for Sustainable Development (CFDD-FRDO) and the Sustainable Development Task Force of the Planning Bureau (TFSD). Many experts from all federal and planning public services were involved in this process. Civil society and Parliament were also consulted before arriving at the text.
The long-term strategic vision for sustainable development of the Federal State was approved by the Government on 17 May 2013. A brochure presents this strategic document to the public.
The proposed objectives aim to achieve the desired state of affairs in terms of sustainable development for the Belgian society in 2050. 56 objectives are grouped under four main themes:
• a society that promotes social cohesion (health, social cohesion and the fight against poverty, employment);
• a society that adapts its economy to the economic, social and environmental challenges (consumption and production modes, food, energy, mobility and transport);
• a society that preserves its environment (climate changes, natural resources, indoor and outdoor air, biodiversity);
• a society backed by the federal authority that takes its social responsibility (government, public finance, science policy, cooperation in development).
For each objective, one or more monitoring indicators are proposed and defined. Either they already exist, or they need to be put in place. They are directly related to the objective or may partially determine the desired state of affairs.
The Federal sustainable development plans prepared every 5 years are instruments which include concrete measures and actions established and implemented by the federal authority to achieve the objectives of this strategic vision and thus move closer to the desired state for 2050.