The conference "Climate Change and Ocean Conservation" took place tuesday 19.02.2019 at the Egmont Palace in Brussels.
|This conference was organized by the FPS Health, at the initiative of Ministers Marghem and De Backer. Enhanced by the presence of His Serene Highness Prince Albert II of Monaco and Prime Minister Charles Michel, the conference welcomed more than 500 international and national guests.
Participants discussed the impact of climate change on marine biodiversity, the need to reduce ship emissions and the potential for offshore energy production.
Brussels is the first high-level meeting that is part of the strategy developed by the Ocean Pathway process. Its objective is to include the oceans on the formal agenda of the climate negotiations in the perspective of the next Conference on the Climate Convention in Chile.
For further information:
- Press release (FR - NL)
- Declaration on Climate and Oceans Preservation
- Speech of Marie-Christine Marghem
- Speech of Philippe De Backer
- Speech of Raul Fernandez Daza (Chile Amabassador in Belgium)
- Speech of Tom Auwers (President of the Belgian Federal Public Service Health, Food Chain Safety and Environment)
- Speech Youth Council - Takeaways Climate Change and Ocean Preservation
- Presentation of Wilfried Lemmens (Royal Belgian Shipowners Association)
- Photos of the event