Vaccination against dengue
Since March 2023, the vaccine Qdenga® is available on the Belgian market. This vaccine reduces the risk of a severe course of dengue infection. The vaccine may be administered to children as young as 4 years old. Dengvaxia® is not available in Belgium and is not recommended to travellers.
When does the Superior Health Council recommend vaccination?
- Travellers have already had dengue
- Travellers stay for a long time (> 4 weeks) in or frequently travel through a high-risk area
- Travellers can obtain the full vaccination schedule (two doses at 3 months interval) before departure
When does the Superior Health Council not recommend vaccination?
- If any of the above conditions are not met, or
- in case of medical contraindications.
The vaccine is a live attenuated vaccine and therefore should not be used in certain immune disorders, during pregnancy or breastfeeding (see SHC advice 9158).