The Federal Public Service (FPS) Health, Food Chain Safety and Environment was set up in 2001. Its competencies were transferred from :
- the former Ministry of Social Affairs, Health and Environment
- the regionalized Ministry of Agriculture
The following scientific establishments are linked to the FPS and carry out research into policy-supporting matters or issue advisory reports :
- VAR, Veterinary and Agrochemical Research Centre
- IPH, Scientific Institute of Public Health
- SHC, Superior Health Council
The Federal Agency for Food Chain Security is responsible for all verifications with regard to food safety.